Thursday 12 February 2009

Neckline confusion

I'm making a muslin type thing of Jalie 2566, the t-shirt. I'm using the turtleneck's body, as I want to make a turtleneck out of some lilac silk-blend jersey I have, but I'm actually rather liking the muslin (which is made of some remnant of jersey which I'm assuming is viscose as it's lovely and soft). It's a rather bright and busy print, though, so I don't think a turtleneck will work at all (I'm not sure that the lilac will work as a turtleneck, as I have a fairly round face and not especially long neck) and am not sure what to do with the neckline.

Here's another really high quality picture (*cough*) - excuse both the weird colour loss and the fact that the picture was taken by me holding the phone at arm's length (which is why the top is all crumpledy, it fits nicely in real life):



I think that the pattern seems to let the much-higher-than-I-would-normally-wear-a-neckline aspect work, but I'd probably scoop it out a bit more if I were going to do a bound neckline. I'd like to do something a bit less plain, but then that would probably be a bad idea with the print - it probably needs a very simple neckline really.

Incidentally, I love this pattern - it went together really easily, in spite of me having used 7 different sizes (from a Z shoulder at the back to a FF sleeve) and deciding to experiment with a half-cut-on sleeve, which actually worked quite well. The muslin is really comfy and I don't like to take it off! I'll do a proper review when it's all finished, though.

2 comments:

Melissa Fehr Trade said...

If you don't want a turtleneck or a bound neckline, what about a floppy type collar, like the one I did here? You'd want to scoop out the neckline more, and then just add a folded rectangle the length of the neck opening...

Anwen said...

Ooh, pretty! I was also thinking of something like this top: http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/product/B001O029V8/sr=1-6/qid=1234468447/ref=sr_1_6/275-9372267-0749229?ie=UTF8&node=72626031&m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&keywords=&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=&page= though I'd probably have to consider removing the sleeves as it might be a bit much otherwise...